Monday, September 4, 2017

I chose the one less traveled...

While in the Eastern Townships of Quebec on a recent vacation, a place I cherish, I visited Lac Brom (aka Knowlton), home of author Louise Penny. If you know her work, it involves Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, a Quebecois police officer, who solves mysteries in this unique neck of the words by listening carefully to all the clues and evidence, taking in the advice of all the necessary experts and then following the wisdom of his heart. In the local book store, I purchased a volume that began with a poem by Robert Frost. It expresses how I feel as I pause to hear the Holy Spirit speaking through the wisdom of my heart.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


Two thoughts are at work in my heart tonight as this wee vacation comes to a close. First, I have some pastoral and artistic work here that needs closure. There are still people I have been called to love and accompany through grief and celebration. There are still some songs to sing and calluses to cultivate, too. Second, right around the corner, there is a new world of grand-parenting, writing, going with the bass groove to new places and connecting with the L'Arche community that is calling me towards the road less traveled. This year alone my precious Louie came too close to crossing over to question the sacred NOW. Anna, too. I must 
honor the beautiful, tender and sacred soul she is yet to become while I still have health and vigor to do so. This will be a full month of discernment to be sure.

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...