Friday, August 25, 2017

Cantons de l'Est, nous venons ici...

Sometimes you just can't help yourself:  as I'm starting to pack for the Eastern Townships, I'm searching madly for the CD "Paris Magnifique." You see, I'm a sucker pour les chanteuses françaises. In the small town of Austin, home base for the next 10 days, 87% of the 1,700 people are francophone. Small wonder that while I'm gathering up my jeans, I need to hear Mademoiselle Keren Ann offer up "Jardin d'Hiver."



There's something vaguely provocative about the way these women play with these songs. Nothing over the top, most of the time, and never crass. They're just evocative of love, broken hearts and a glass of great red wine. Julie Delpy's banjo grunge, "Je T'Aime Tant" is in a league all by itself. Not everyone's cup of tea, to be sure, but I am knocked out. 



As the packing continues, so do the songs: Cantons de l'Est, nous venons ici.

No comments:

easter reflection at palmer 2024...

Recently, Fr. Richard Rohr wrote that Easter: "is the feast that says God will have the last word and that God’s final judgment is resu...