Tuesday, June 7, 2016

I celebrate this night in the spirit of all that is sacred...

Cranky Bernie Sanders - and some (but by no means all) of his supporters - to the contrary: this
is an historic moment for our republic. Tonight I give thanks to God that FINALLY the United States will be ready to nominate a woman for the office of President.  I tend to be circumspect (mostly) and patient about the vitriol and insults that too many Sanders' supporters have felt free to cast upon those of us who have supported Hillary. Because of my public role, I have not called out their crass stupidity - and sometimes blatant misogyny - because it would too easily have become yet one more BS "bait and switch" exercise. 

I have appreciated a great deal of what Senator Sanders has brought to this campaign. He has run an effort that certainly surpassed his own expectations, highlighted the importance of progressive economic policies and has been largely free of major ethical gaffes.. It is his right, of course, to play the privileged, old white guy card and be a curmudgeon. My hope is that after tonight, however, in his own time and own way, he will invite his supporters to join a unified effort with Mrs. Clinton  to stand against the disaster waiting to happen to the world should Donald Trump be elected. 

Nine years ago I sat with my ailing father and discussed his disgust with the emerging Republican leadership. He said, "I don't believe the country is ready for an African American to be elected - but I'm going to vote for him."  And he did. We rejoiced in January that our better angels rose to the occasion in support of Barack Obama's historic journey to the White House. Before he died, my father and I spoke of US politics.  He had been a lifelong Republican but he saw the vicious anger, fear and racism that had been pandered to and manipulated for 40 years go berserk - so he changed his party affiliation. Not that he believed the Democrats were angels. Far from it. He was a realist who had very low expectations of people in their public roles; that way, he told me with a sardonic smile, I am rarely disappointed.

He did not like Hillary during the days of the Clinton White House. Like many in his conservative cadre, he ragged on her in ways that were ugly and mean spirited. But he was also always a pragmatist with a big heart. And after my mother's death, he found himself breaking with his old school buddies and becoming a tender hearted old coot. That is why I choose to believe that tonight he, too would give thanks to God that our nation grew up a little more by awarding a strong albeit flawed women a shot at our country's highest office.


No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...