Friday, November 27, 2015

I hear you sing again...

Last night I heard a song that blew me away. It is an Arlo Guthrie/Janis Ian composition based
on Woodie's lyrics. In so many ways it says what is in my heart these days.  I also finished Barbara Brown Taylor's book, An Altar in the World, last night and she concludes with the importance of ordinary people offering blessings for one another. 

All I am saying is that anyone can do this.Anyone can ask and anyone can bless, whether anyone has authorized you to do it or not. All I am saying is that the world needs you to do this, because there is a real shortage of people willing to kneel wherever they are and recognize the holiness holding its sometimes bony, often tender, always life-giving hand above their heads. That we are able to bless one another at all is evidence that we have been blessed, whether we can remember when or not. That we are willing to bless one another is miracle enough to stagger the very stars.

What I love about this song is the simple blessing it recognizes. Arlo spoke in an earlier interview about how important it is that different kinds of people get the chance to sing songs together: we are so divided, so polarized, so afraid. But when we sing together, at least for a moment, we become one. And that is a blessing that we need a lot more of these days, yes? On this clip, Arlo's son, Abe, is playing keyboards with his dad as Poppa sings the words of his dad.

So take a listen to this sweet song - a tune about memory and presence and passing on blessings one to another - and know that you are blessed.

No comments:

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...