Friday, July 3, 2015

Birthday fun continues...

Let me start by saying that if you get a chance to see Madeleine Peyroux in person: please do so! We saw her last night as part of my birthday celebration and I was knocked out. She wasn't wild or provocative - just very understated and earthy - and her band was equally grounded. But what a powerful and meaning filled performance she shared with us: a genuine blessing. As she said for her encore: Singing like this - and being so connected - this is heaven is for me.
Ms. Peyroux is a little Billie Holiday, a little Leonard Cohen and a whole lot of middle aged woman sharing the joys and sorrows of being alive in our culture. I was expecting someone more fragile and flowery. My mistake. She is grounded, bluesy and vibrant in a quiet and intense way. Check out her take on Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me To the End of Love" if you doubt my take on her groove: she is someone I want to give closer attention to, yes?

Today, still being in the birthday groove, we slept late - VERY late - then I walked Lucie and we ate sausages and drank tea for breakfast. I wrote and protracted the bass for a few hours while Dianne rested. We returned to Parc Baldwin later for Lucie to romp and then began another afternoon of wandering. We wound up at a copy shop in our hood so that I could get a hard copy of the bass study guide I've been reading on-line - and then took off for Rue St. Denis. A few miles later we decided it might be time for dinner - about 5:30 pm - so we wandered for another two miles before coming upon Chez Victoire on Rue Mont Royale. Totally excellent and upscale place where we ate on one of the ubiquitous Montreal "terrases" that are set up all over town to soak up the summer sun. We spoke French (and English) to the wait staff and had a ball sipping Cote Du Rhone red wine whilst people watching. 
Now we're home and taking it slow... Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at a local coiffure and get my wild ass mane of hair trimmed and shaped before we head down to les Fetes du Jazz and hear maestro Ron Carter make his bass sing. A finer birthday could not be found for an old guy could like me. Thanks be to God - and my dear honey Dianne!

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...