Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I know what I know...

From time to time I need to read this again (and again and again!):


Let the preacher tell the truth... let him/her preach this overwhelming of tragedy by comedy, of darkness by light, of the ordinary by the extraordinary, as the tale that is too good not to be true because to dismiss it as untrue is to dismiss along with it that 'catch of the breath, that beat and lifting of the heart near to or even accompanied by tears," which I believe is the deepest intuition of truth that we have.
Frederich Buechner

I note this because sometimes each day is fully a combination of both joy and humiliation, grace and sad confusion all wrapped together. Through it all, however, is my experience (and conviction) that while now we see as through a glass darkly, later we shall indeed see face to face. Today I spoke with artists and physicians, morticians and young mothers as well as a number of creative, humble, harried and faithful church members. Part of me experienced being a technological dinosaur while another realized the blessings of time, age and earned wisdom. A total mixed bag... but like Paul Simon says: I know what I know, I'll sing what I said, we come and we go that's a thing I keep in the back of my head.

Indeed, who am I to blow against the wind?

No comments:

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...