Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Burning down the house: music, healing and the prayer of my heart...

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug... right? Today mostly felt like I was a bug:  I was bone tired, didn't sleep well last night, had meetings all day long and then band practice.  The issues at our meetings are important: how do we care for the most vulnerable and hardcore homeless among us?  And let's just say, our conversations today didn't go well - although they advanced the issue.

So when I got to church to record a song for TV I had no juice left and no patience.  My honey had called and asked if we might have Mexican before practice - and that sounded great - but the good people messed up my order and I eventually had to get chile rellenoes to go.  So when I sat down to do Yussuf Islam's "The Wind" let's say I didn't think it would work - but we nailed it in just one take.  And all the bullshit of the day seemed to vanish in that one, sweet little song.

And then practice for Thanksgiving Eve ROCKED!  What a gas!  My singers and instrumentalists were cooking!  We're going to have 30 people on stage at one point doing gospel and it is going to be killer. I am getting so pumped for this show. We'll gather as a core band for refreshments and songs later this Saturday night in a chill setting and that will deepen the groove, too.  So I thought I would book out of there before choir practice but found I couldn't stop singing.  It was all so healing and real and beautiful.  And then, as if an answer to prayer, one of our singers sent me a note asking if she could do "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" at this gig?  I started to cry... the perfect close to a rough day. Thanks be to God.  Made me think of St. Bonnie...

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...