Monday, October 28, 2013

Jazz sabbatical taking shape...

Tonight I will meet with my "sabbatical planning team" for an
early dinner and discussion of our grant proposal to the Lilly Foundation.  Our goal is to complete this by December 2013 for a start date of May 2015.  And what a GREAT team it is - I am so blessed - and look forward to taking the next steps.  It will not only include some creative study and practice for the congregation, but an extended jazz residency for me, too.  Earlier today the great performer Mary Chapin Carpenter posted this quote from Adrienne Rich that feels right to me:

One of the great functions of art is to help us imagine what it is like to be not ourselves, what it is like to be someone or something else, what it is like to live in another skin, what it is like to live in another body, and in that sense to surpass ourselves, to go out beyond ourselves.

Tomorrow we will spend some time creating, exploring and recreating a Jazz Vespers gig set for Sunday, November 3 @ 3 pm.  Thursday the Jazz Ambassadors will get wild and funky at Patrick's Pub @ 6:30 pm.  And on Tuesday I'll get to start writing this week's All Saints/Souls message for Sunday worship and Eucharist.  Thanks be to God.

2 comments:

W. Mark Clark said...

So you got to play with the amazing Revs.Dwight Andrews and Ozzie Smith. Hearing and working with them were a couple of the highlights of my time IATA the National Setting.

RJ said...

Yes, yes I did... those two brothers can PLAY. And they are two savvy and faithful men, too. Sorry my path was so full this weekend; it would have been sweet to connect but... there you go. Maybe after you get settled back in AZ we can check in by phone? Let me know, my man. Lots of love and prayers.

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...