Friday, October 11, 2013

A pain in my eye...

This wasn't how today was supposed to unfold:  we both hoped for a lazy
Sabbath with walking and talking and resting.  Sadly, my left eye became violently irritated last night - somehow I scratched the cornea - and this morning things were no better.  So after having a little melt down in my room - trying to regroup and pray and breathe deeply - I called my doc only to find he was out of the office.

I knew I wasn't going to get better all by myself, so I imposed myself on a friend in the same practice who is also a doc and a singer in our band.  And thanks be to God, he squeezed me in about 12 noon. With a little testing - and some anesthesia - we figured out what's happening and started some eye drop treatment.  It still hurts and is annoying, but should be mostly better by this time tomorrow.

I was thinking I would be doing the one-eyed pirate thing for worship but I guess that is for another time.  So, I've been lolling about, unable to read much and giving thanks that my eyes aren't permanently going south.  And just to underscore my call to be thankful, the only mail we got today was the Yale Divinity School Journal dedicated to growing old with grace! I love the Holy One's ironic sense of humor when it comes at my expense.  I trust that tomorrow will be more satisfying. 

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...