Saturday, December 15, 2012

The sound of Rachel weeping...

Dianne and I were on a short respite in Boston when the horrible news from Newtown, CT assaulted us all:  20 children and 6 adults slaughtered.  My brother and sister went with me to Sandy Hook Elementary School for a few years back in the early 60s. I got my first Bible from the Newtown Congregational Church.  And 6 years ago interviewed for the office of pastor in that small town. 

Like every other person with a heart, mine aches tonight.  Sadly, however,I am not surprised that this has happened yet again: we live in a culture of violence, fear and shame - we eat our own and then act shocked when they sometimes take the guns we've given them as toys and kill our babies and loved ones.  We live in a sick and selfish culture...
\
One of my colleagues put it into prayer form so tonight I'm sitting with her words and this tune from the Boss.

God now all my carols are quiet
And there is only the sound of Rachel’s tears.

I pray for these children
for whom there are already
gifts hidden they will not unwrap
who will never grow so old
that they can’t hear the Polar Express bell.

For their parents and friends
sisters and brothers
whose lives changed forever
for the adults who died
and those who loved them

For teachers everywhere
who are ashamed to say how afraid they are now
for the boy in his illness
we gave guns like they were toys


 
For all who are unChristmased

We refuse to be consoled, O Lord
because they are no more

Warn us in our dreams and wakings
to gather all holy children
and find for them a place of safety.Warn us in our dreams and wakings
to gather all holy children
and find for them a place of safety.


No comments:

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...