Friday, December 7, 2012

Jazz at the mission...

We're going to play an early couple of sets tonight at the Mission Bar and Tapas - one of my favorite local hipster places - as part of the regional Arts Walk.  Check them out @ http://www.missionbarandtapas.com/ or stop by 438 North Street in Pittsfield starting @ 5:30 pm.  It will be a sweet groove...

I am most curious about what we're going to sound like:  my friend and colleague, Carlton Maaia II, will be sitting in tonight on keys and sax man, Charlie Tokarz, will be MIA (another gig elsewhere.)  Carlton's groove is easy, sweet and restrained with an artistic subtly that always leaves you wanting more.  That will be cool in every sense of the word.  Maybe there will be a guest horn player - that's simultaneously exciting and terrifying - so we shall see.  Andy is sure to have some surprises so maybe we'll just be a quartet tonight and that'll be a gas, too.

Carlton has worked up two Dave Brubeck tunes for Sunday:  Trav'lin' Blues for the "gathering music" and Strange Meadowlark to wrap things up.  Maybe we'll get to those tonight, too.  Please stop on by - they have the best tapas around and great Spanish wine - and I'd love to see you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanted to say that you are possibly part of the inspiration for me taking up my flute again this winter after close to 20 years of not playing. Fingers still have it, lips... not so much. It is about not having to be perfect to be good enough to share my gifts with others (something I need to learn right now.)

Of course, this also means I volunteered myself into playing for services on Christmas Eve... ... and we don't have the music yet... ... ... :-)

RJ said...

This makes my heart sing.. keep at it my friend and you will find blessings after blessing. Thank you for sharing.

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...