Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I am a blessed man...

Every week I get to make music with some of the finest musicians - and sweetest people - I've ever met.  After studying, praying and writing for most of the day on Tuesday, I head off for band practice and choir rehearsal.  Our rock/folk/jazz ensemble, Between the Banks, meets for an hour + and tonight we cooked up a chill version of U2's, "Grace" for Sunday.  We also worked on Herbie Hancock's smokin' take on Peter Gabriel's, "Don't Give Up" which I think we'll use next week for my 30th anniversary of ordination.  And we started up on Taylor Swift's "Safe and Sound" from The Hunger Games in which we'll have one of our middle school girls sing the lead.
After a quick break, it was on to choir practice - a few of the band now sing in the choir, too - plus a handful of other good souls.  It is great fun to switch from jazz and blues into John Stainer four part harmonies or Celtic tunes with a classical bent.  A few beloved members of each group were unable to be present tonight and you could feel the loss; not only were their voices missing, but their spirit, too.

As I was driving home in the first serious autumn rain of the season I thought to myself:  Man, are we going to have an eclectic Sunday!  We'll start with a classical organ prelude, move into a contemporary hymn driven by piano, bass and guitars - sing two responses from the African and/or African/American tradition - turn U2's "Grace" into a chill blues - add Stainer's "How Lovely are the Feet" and close with an extended improvisation on a Lakota hymn.  I am in heaven - blessed and loving it!

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...