Thursday, August 23, 2012

Some tunes for TGE 2012...

Every year about this time I start getting a sense of the groove I want for our annual TGE event (Thanksgiving Eve for the uninitiated)  Here are some of the tunes that are making me smile...

+ After a country gospel a capella opening, I'm hearing one of our great women singers do this one with a variety of instrumental breaks.

+ Then without a pause, I think  we need to move here, too cuz we've got some soulful sisters who can really sing and I love me some Nina Simone...

+ At some point in the evening, I'm hearing me starting this off as well as something others taking a verse with a great jazzy gospel chorus...

This is a festival of AMERICAN songs - some of our newer friends forget this - but it is a sweet discipline that helps us reclaim something special for Thanksgiving. Can you tell I'm getting psyched?  I'll keep you posted for sure!

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...