Thursday, May 17, 2012

RIP old friend...

One of my favorite "old school" disco queens left our world today:  Rest in Peace, Donna Summer, rest in peace.  Remember when "Love to Love You Baby" hit the airwaves in 1975?  OMG!  What a wildass, sexy fun tune that was!  We were living in LA at the time and working with the Farm Workers a few months before dear daughter number one was born.  And as I drove around the city doing voter registration - and later get out the vote drives in 1976 - Donna was wailing all over the place.  At first I was embarassed that I dug her groove so much - good Christian boys weren't suppose to enjoy this sultry stuff - but later I just let her sweet fun wash over me and celebrate the blessings of sensuality.

And she kept the hits coming:  my all-time favorite is "Hot Stuff."  And if confession is good for the soul, I still want to have a chance to play this song with our women singers at a Thanksgiving Eve or Fat Tuesday gig sometimes before I leave this realm.  It is just too much fun to miss playing, yes?  My girls got turned on to her when this song was used in the great "Full Monty" soundtrack... 

Don't forget "Bad Girls" and her duet with Striessand ~ she was a total pro with a great attitude - and I miss her already.  She left this world today @ 63 years old ~ waaaay too young - a victim of that bastard cancer.  So, shake your booty tonight for Donna Summer and know that she was a total blessing.  Thank you, old friend...

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...