Saturday, March 10, 2012

A few unexpected tears...

It does my heart good to note that I shed some unexpected tears today... The day started with a memorial service for a 96 year old woman ~ the mother of a church mate ~ who had lived a full and robust life.  She was a great wife, a tireless mother and a grandma to beat the band. She passed from this life into the next the day before Christmas Eve ~ I had just stepped into her hospital room but left quickly so as not to disturb her prayers with another guest ~ when she left this world.

It was cold today ~ sunny and beautiful ~ but a piercing wind blew through St. Joe's cemetery ~ the Roman Catholic resting place in town ~ so we kept things focused and short.  A few prayers and memories, roses laid on the cremains and then the "Our Father..." and the sign of the Cross.  As I was heading back to my car, the matriarch of the family called me to her side. She is a wise and strong woman ~ and I was taken aback when she took my head in her hands and said, "You are a special man to us:  you baptized two of my grand-babies, you buried Nana and you will likely bury my dad soon.  We love you and feel blessed by your love."  I was speechless ~ and a few unexpected tears swelled up as I drove home.

Last night another tear came when we were packing up from the jazz gig ~ tuxedos and all ~ when the band leader said to me (after being told I was doing a memorial service in the Catholic cemetery in the morning), "You know, I bet if you asked for a show of hands at church on Sunday, at least half of the folks in the congregation now are former Catholics."

I think he is right ~ and that brought a tear, too.  Both because folks have felt it necessary to leave the church of their birth ~ for a variety of reasons ~ and because I feel such an affinity with their sacramental spirituality.  Many of my favorite writers are from the progressive wing of the Roman Church, too.

And then, just a moment ago, after getting up from a late afternoon nap, I happened to check out a clip from my man Bruce Springsteen's show last night at the famed Apollo Theatre.  (I bought the new CD earlier today buy haven't heard it yet.)  Given the last two offerings, I was apprehensive.  I LOVE Springsteen ~ I mean stone cold LOVE him ~ his music, his vocals, his passion, his combination of soul/folk/rock/Black/White music, his lapsed Roman Catholicism, I mean the whole enchilada.  I've seen him probably 10 times but was worried that this new CD was just going to be a retread of pretty worn out material.


But DIG this... more unexpected tears of joy and sorrow:  my man is KICKING ASS!  He's rockin' like there is no tomorrow - and taking NO prisoners.  Check out this clip from last night's Apollo gig: http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/bruce-springsteen-death-to-my-hometown-at-the-apollo-20120310

As Rolling Stone makes clear, this new incarnation is a HUGE band ~ part Seeger Sessions band, part Soul Train revival, part traditional E Street band ~ plus a whole lot more.  So as this day of unexpected tears comes to a close, I give thanks to God ~ and now I'll cook up some dinner.

No comments:

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...