Sunday, August 7, 2011

Somedays you're the windshield...

I love the old song "The Bug" that Mark Knoepler wrote and Mary Chapin Carpenter covered so well:  sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.  I felt that way this morning in worship. 

The band COOKED!  The music was really sweet.  But somehow I got off message and wasn't as clear in my speaking about the call to explore contemporary music I was in my writing.  I could feel it - I could sense the people were struggling to make the connections, too - and while the music carried the moment... something was missing.  Sure I was a little distracted by our new sound system experiment that sometimes shared feedback; and the new sound mixer gave me WAAY too much volume.  (AND as my dear wife reminded me, on my way to the car this morning I slipped on the wood step - my legs flew out from under me and I almost landed on my head in a NASTY fall - and that had some impact!)

But still... I got off message.  And as a preacher and teacher, I HATE when that happens.  It is one thing to wing it, but another to work hard at getting the communications down and then somehow letting it slip away. The whole analysis part seemed to vanish from the message - the heart of hearing the still speaking God in contemporary culture disappeared - so that some folk were left wondering did the scripture, music and message have anything in common.

Ever been there?  Well, after worship we had a smokin' gospel choir practice - and that was healing.  And a ton of people really appreciated our work with the new sound system - so that was a blessing, too.

I also know from playing gigs - and listening to some of the finest preachers around talk behind closed doors - that sometimes you just ARE the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.  Today was a little of both... not a bust, but not the time of clarity I hoped and prayed for either. 

A little humility is good for me - and I was humbled and a little frustrated today.  So, back to working harder, getting the sound checks down earlier and trusting God's ability to make the connections even when I don't.  KInda reminded me of another Paul Simon tune...
</span>

3 comments:

Peter said...

Yeah, man...

Ben said...

You are being a little hard on yourself, If you were in a nosedive, you pulled out just fine. The last song you used was very well meshed with scripture. Beauty, truth, love and integrity or nothing.
Look Brother, if you don't show your human side as a leader you go to a very dangerous place.
I look for imperfection in the best of leaders. If a leader is as human as me, I will follow. If the people I lead see me as human, they will follow me.
You had a very human week. God bless you. I love you.
Now, get the feedback fixed and find a fresh male tenor for your band.

RJ said...

Thanks, my men: I love you both.

lent four: god so loved the kosmos...

Text: John 3: 14-21: And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes i...