Monday, August 1, 2011

Crazy songs that I'm remembering today...

I just saw Gabby Giffords - Congresswoman from Arizona - walk into the US House of Representatives to vote FOR a hard compromise bill. It made me weep because it was only 7 months ago that a broken and crazy man tried to gun her down at a Safeway in Tucson. I know it is a weird jump, but seeing her in action set in motion a whole lotta memories for me... all of which eventually wound up at night's end with recalling some of my favorite old, obscure, make-me-feel-alive songs.

+ First up is Erma Franklyn's original take on "Piece of My Heart."  I know that Janis came to own this song, but I can remember driving around with my buddy, Ross, the first time this came on the radio.  It didn't get much air play back in the day, but it is SOOOOO good.  One of the truly great feel good songs with a ton o soul...

+ Then there is "Rich Kid Blues" - which didn't exactly fit me - but was something I listened to over and over again.  Terry Reid could be a wack job - very talented - and very, very uneven.  But God I loved this song so very much:  the intensity just builds and the emotion in this cat's voice still cuts like a knife to me...

+ Clearly Tim Hardin's "Misty Roses" is another favorite and I can't get enough of this after all those years.  He was such a wounded troubadour, yes?  And so soulful.  I think I wore this out during high school after my American history prof turned me on to him in 11th grade.  I love the Youngblood's version of this, too - and listened to that infinitum as well - but can't find a clip on You Tube.  But Tim was the original and I love him...

+ And let's not forget the master of sweet weirdness:  Donovan!  I listened to his songs in my sleep and in my waking - I played his tunes in my bedroom and with my band mates - because like some of these other artists:  I COULDN'T GET ENOUGH OF THIS GUY!  I am still knocked out by the power of "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and "Season of the Witch." I find I keep enjoying the playful spirituality of "First There Is a Mountain."  And all his "Guinevere" stuff was too much fun. I think I cherished his tenderness in an increasingly harsh time - and still do.  I just loved it all - especially "Isle of Islay."

+ And please, for the love of God, let's not forget Count Five's "Psychotic Reaction," ok?  This was pure joy and ecstasy for a young man in the 60s.  I felt the same way about "Liar, Liar" by The Castaways, "Lies" by the Knickerbockers and "Over Under Sideways Down" by the Yardbirds, too.  (We're not going into all the Beatles' songs - just the most obscure ones that keep popping up with joy, right?)  I could jump around in my room like a wild man to this song - and sometimes still feel that primal urge.

The older I get the more I realize ALL times are hard times, so it is absolutely essential to find the beauty and joy in every minute.  I give thanks that Gabby not only lived through her attack, but could stand and wave and show all the "nay sayers" that there is something bigger than fear and selfishness.  I also give thanks to these - all musical artists - who have shared something of their heart with me and so many others.  You are part of my proof that God is real - and very, very loving.


Let me bring it to a close with Van the Man - this song is my prayer song on so many levels - and helps me regain my balance when when the shit is flying hot and heavy.  It reminds me of loved ones, dear friends I've shared music with, beloved souls gone but not forgotten, God's grace and so much more.  And he's got that great groove going, too.  Absolutely perfect...

4 comments:

Peter said...

There are these manifestations of hope, and they need to be brought into our awareness. Gabrielle Gifford's resurrection is one, and there are many more out there.

RJ said...

I know...such important truths, Peter.

Peter said...

While we're at it, Islay scotch is very rich, deeply coloured, and smoky-tasting. Donovan probably helped himself while he was there... ;)

RJ said...

ooooh let me check that out - thanks, my man!

lent four: god so loved the kosmos...

Text: John 3: 14-21: And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes i...