Monday, July 11, 2011

Two quick stories...

Yesterday a woman at church told me, "I feel such joy in this place!"  Well, I do, too, but I'm the pastor so I wondered what she meant.  And, as the Spirit would have it, she told me.  "I had a dream a while ago about being invited to a party where I wore some beautiful shoes.  But the people at the party didn't want to have fun - they made me uncomfortable about my beautiful shoes - so I had to take them off and go barefoot."

She then told me about becoming a Christian only a short time ago and being a part of a church that was more about rules than Christ's joy.  "But after being with you in worship now I know... there IS a place I can wear my party shoes!"

I wanted to weep.  I think I could - maybe should - retire right now because it doesn't get much better than this.   Second story:  we had a house guest with us over the weekend - a dear church member and friend - with whom we shared food and feasting and story-telling and LOTS of music.  Her presence brings joy to the world inspite of TONS of sorrow.  And maybe the Spirit is moving in such a way that she might rejoin us at some time.  It was a little bit of heaven when she sang "One Voice" with two other women in our band on Sunday.  Another moment of gratitude where I had to say, "ok, maybe I have been blessed enough for one day - or one life - or one ministry."

I give thanks today for these sweet signs of God's on-going grace in a broken and wounded world. "At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” — Albert Schweitzer
What was said to the rose that made it open was said
to me here in my chest. 

What was told the cypress that made it strong
and straight, what was

whispered the jasmine so it is what it is, whatever made
sugarcane sweet, whatever

was said to the inhabitants of the town of Chigil in
Turkestan that makes them

so handsome, whatever lets the pomegranate flower blush
like a human face, that is

being said to me now. I blush. Whatever put eloquence in
language, that's happening here.

The great warehouse doors open; I fill with gratitude,
chewing a piece of sugarcane, 

in love with the one to whom every that belongs!
(Rumi a la Coleman Barks)

2 comments:

Peter said...

I know what you mean about enough blessing for one day--my dictum is, if I get any more good news, I'll scream!

RJ said...

YES - another man said, "If I felt any better I would have to be twins!" Blessings abound.

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...