Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday 2011

It is probably best to pause today in my reflections on the atonement and simply share this profound insight from the heart of Madeleine L'Engle.

I, who live by words, am wordless when
I try my words in prayer. All language turns
To silence. Prayer will take my words and then
Reveal their emptiness. The stilled voice learns
To hold its peace, to listen with the heart
To silence that is joy, is adoration.
The self is shattered, all words torn apart
In this strange patterned time of contemplation
That, in time, breaks time, breaks words, breaks me,
And then, in silence, leaves me healed and mended.
I leave, returned to language, for I see
Through words, even when all words are ended.
I, who live by words, am wordless when
I turn me to the Word to pray. Amen.

They mystery of God's grace continues to nourish and challenge me - and on this day especially - I give thanks for the presence within the silence.  If you are in town, please join us at 7:00 pm for this year's Good Friday experiment in liturgy, contemporary music, art, prayer and silence.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Amen and Amen, brother.

Odd, though, Paul Simon's Sound of Silence resonates less me all the time--we need silence, and reflection.

And peace.

RJ said...

Me, too, Peter: I am using it tonight just instrumentally - recorder and guitar - as the words seem too much now. Silence - and reflection - spot on. Love to you and Joyce this night: sing on, my man, sing on.

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...