Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The joy of friends...

My buddy in Tucson - don E - sent me this quote that touched my heart.  He, too, has known the ups and downs of loving hard people in a family - and it came at just the right time.  He writes:
 
"Sometimes there is great strength in naivete." I think if we could look upon those sometimes that we know so well and see them without the filter of life we could see who they are at that moment. Sometimes our experience gets in the way of our compassion and it is a gift to see those we love without the sweat of experience and remember that we truly love them, no matter of any experience. 

My head wrestles with those words tonight even while my heart sings their beauty.  Friends help keep me honest.  Peter in Canada rewrote a Bible drama I was working on - and made it so much better.  Hal posted some powerful words from a human rights activist in Afghanistan that cuts to the chase in that horrible war.  Andy helped me find a more beautiful way of playing my bass. Brian sent me his love - and some great chord changes. Sue sent me a blessing prayer before I left for Maryland.Ted called to take me to lunch.  And David sent me a quote about humor from his vacation that made me smile...

I am blessed by the joy of true and humble friends who know how hard it is to keep loving.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Last weekend, I found myself saying that i was surrounded by blessing. Know what ya mean, James!

RJ said...

So sweet, brother.

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...