Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hanging loose in the saddle for St. Patrick's Day...

Ok, so that's a really mixed image for a title - I don't know too many Irishmen with saddles - but this Scots-Irishman is going to really have to embrace both because my main man, Andy, is now in Florida and won't be back for Thursday's St. Patrick's Day gig at Baba Louie's.  You see, Andy had to leave town early today to be with his mother and family after her recent heart attack. Please join me in holding the whole Kelly clan in prayer as Mrs. Kelly prepares for triple by-pass surgery sometime in the next few days.

And then send a kind thought or two my way as well for we are going into St. Patrick's Day without our lead Leprechaun and key instrumentalist. Hell, Andy's the only one who REALLY knows all these songs!  And while we'll do our best - throwing into the mix some U2 and Beatles in the spirit of Celtic craziness - but I fear it will be a whiter shade of pale without the lead Irishman in our midst.  As our dear wives have said, "Figure out a good one hour set - encourage the crowd to have another Guinness - and play that set three times!"  Good advice - but I'm wearing me kilts just to cover ALL our bases!  And here's one that should be fun to share...

5 comments:

Peter said...

Clan Lumsden? Must be from a pretty remote place in the highlands! :)

RJ said...

Actually, yes, my man: a small clan within the Forbes dominion in Aberdeenshire going back to 1060 something for first records on my father's side.

Peter said...

Might have been a sept under the protection of the Forbes clan. That was not unusual, I'm told. Our little group is permitted to wear MacAllister tartan. Is that the Lumsden tartan in the pic?

While we're at it, it's a good time to remember that "whiskey" is a Gaelic word for "Water of Life"! ;)

RJ said...

No I wear the Forbes tartan (althought I have a faux Lumsden tartan tie). And I am delighted to know about the water of life! Sweet.

Peter said...

Someday, you might read Whisky Galore (Galore being another Gaelic word in English), by Compton MacKenzie, or rent the film Tight Little Island (US title)--the book is better.

The Scots have more names for whisky than there are snowflakes in Antarctica!

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...