Friday, February 4, 2011

Last night at Patrick's...

Last night at Patrick's was a GREAT gig all around: lots of classic jazz (which I'm beginning to finally grasp), some fun rock and roll (which is like the ground of my being) and some special fun, too (like a guest singer who was a knock-out in her Vegas-style evening gown singing "Sway" or the reigning Pittsfield Polka King who inspired Andy to lead us in a little impromptu "Beer Barrel Polka!")

Afterwards Charlie Tokarz - who is an awesome musician and plays sax, flute and clarinet - said to me, "Sounds like you, my man, have spent some time in the shed." "Hmmm... I hope that was a complement," I wondered. And, after a little google-search this morning, found out that it is jazz slang for practicing hard and hitting the groove. What a blessing to hear that from Charlie!

Andy was encouraging, too. It really helped that I've been practicing a LOT and finding special times to work-out some charts and tunes with Andy before each gig, too. He is another killer musician who along with our drummer, Johnny, and pianist, Bennie, are just took kewel for school.

I think Dianne hit her stride as a jazz vocalist last night as she was in splendid form: not only was she loose and at home with the material, but also playful and always right on the notes. As she told me at lunch, "It's a good thing all the church/choir folk who came last night (by our count about 25) didn't make our first few gigs as I'm much more confident now." It shows... (BTW I am really blessed and grateful that so many of our First Church friends have been coming out to support our music. What a sweet community of faith!)

Now as we really get into preparing material for Istanbul, we've got a truly eclectic repertoire and this tune will be our next exploration...

4 comments:

Blue Eyed Ennis said...

Sounds great:
"Give me the beat, boys and free my soul.I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away " !!
Blessings

RJ said...

YES!!! One of my all time favorite tunes, too.

Peter said...

A perfect song recorded perfectly. And if you've been woodshedding, it'll show. Compliment, for sure!

RJ said...

I LOVE that song so much... and now dig the compliment, too. Thanks, my man.

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...