Friday, February 18, 2011

Feelin' alright...

Yesterday I spent the morning in the hospital as a patient - the first time in 50 years - as I had to do that "old guy" thing and have my insides explored.  Robin Williams does a freakin' brilliant bit about this that is worth the price of admission - and he is so right - and I am grateful that all is well inside and out.  No need for another "procedure" for a long time.

That said, three things linger with me from the ordeal.  First, I must have really responded well to those drugs because I don't remember a thing!  Nothing - including an in-depth conversation with the doctor and my wife after wards.  All of which is good, but a little unnerving - rather like a science fiction novel where you KNOW something happened - and have some faint recollection that you were there - but nothing of the experience remains in your memory.


Second, man am I wiped-out today.  The pros weren't kidding when they told me not to operate heavy machinery or make any major decisions for 24 hours; given my reaction, I would up that to 48 hours because life is still running at about half speed inside me. And I slept for over 12 hours last night!  Still, given my family's history with cancer, I'll take the blessing to receive a clean bill of health no matter how tired or uncomfortable I feel today.
 

And third, what a wonderful, skilled and compassionate set of caregivers I was graced with throughout the whole thing: my doc was wise and helpful, the hospital administrative folk were kind and informative and the nurses were angels of mercy.  Everyone made my anxiety float away with their attention to little details along with their very authentic bed-side manner. This IS one of those times when thank you notes are in order.

I have always believed that even when I can't change much of the wider world - and I can't - I can share a bit of compassion.  That's one of the reasons I entered into local church ministry almost 30 years ago - and I was reminded of how important compassion is to everyone yesterday in a very incarnational way.  So... like Dave Mason said so well in his Traffic days...

2 comments:

Peter said...

May the results be negative, which is positive!

RJ said...

Exactly - and they were - which is another wonderful thing. Thanks, my man.

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...