Sunday, December 5, 2010

Throw away the notes...

This morning during worship something funny happened - I couldn't find my worship notes - anywhere! I knew I had them - and I knew I had posted them on my blog - but when I walked into the Sanctuary to get ready for worship... they were gone. I looked everywhere. Well, this would be a day of surprises, yes?

+ Already my liturgist had called to say she was too sick to be in worship - so a retired clergy person volunteered to read.

+ And a friend came in with homemade bread for communion - but at first I thought it was just a gift - and only later realized he wanted us to use it for Eucharist so we did.

+ And I had been sick with a stomach bug all weekend - totally wiped out - no longer ill but just tired in every way possible.

So I guess I should have expected today to be a wild time, but it was lovely. I remembered most of the message - and what I left out wasn't important. What's more, I can't tell you how many people said to me: we're going to steal your notes more often - this was great. As my honey told me later: you were just yourself, not trying to hard and fully present! (What is REALLY amusing is that a woman told me after worship: "I think I know where your notes and CD are... I saw them when I was coming in today." And she went and got them.)

Back when we went to Tucson (from Cleveland) I was pouring over my candidating sermon notes when Di said, "Look, man, you have to do this in a whole new way. Either throw away your notes and speak from you heart or... forget it." I was terrified. I had done this a bit before but tended to feel more confident with a manuscript. But I really wanted to connect with the people in Tucson so... I bagged the notes and went on to be in ministry in Tucson for 10 years. I guess I hadn't realized I was slipping back into the old model again, but there you go...

So, let's see what other new insights this Advent brings, yes? Sometimes the One who is holy speaks in strange ways; and today I couldn't help but listen.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Have very definitely been there, brother, and sometimes it's a mess, and sometimes it's a joy. But invariably, it's a blessing, if we're ready to take the message away and ponder it in our heart...

RJ said...

I realize that I have to do the prep work... but more often than not can move beyond my actual notes. And still I slip back into old and easy ways of operating.

earth day reflection...

  EARTH DAY REFLECTION: Palmer, MA – April 21, 2024 Tomorrow marks the 54th anniversary of observing Earth Day in the United States: after ...