Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I LOVE to practice music with gifted musicians...

So tonight is the penultimate practice for our Thanksgiving Eve 2010 gig: a few players were MIA but I didn't expect everyone to make it until next Tuesday night. But what happened tonight was extraordinary:

+ Andy, Dianne and Jon made CS&Y sound like nursery school with sweet, sweet harmonies on "Teach Your Children."

+ Andy, Grahm and the gospel singers made my version of "City of Ruins" sizzle - so soulful in this version.

+ Brian's new song, "Get a Little Closer" is totally Motown in all the right ways - and our singers and instrumentalists cut a Stax/Volt sound that can't be beat: in-freakin-credible!

+ And Grahm turned us on to a sweet new song by Colin Hay as well as a beautiful orignal tune that is heavenly.

Who says white New Englanders can't cook? Make rock and soul music? Signify for god's sake! And one of the totally sweet treats is that this is an intergenerational groove: a couple of this year's guests bring in a whole different aesthetic given their 30-something context. And I have two smokin' little 10 year old junior bluesmen paying their dues in a most righteous way. OMG...

I truly can't wait until NEXT Tuesday when Hal, Linda and Bert get her and add their voices and guitars to the mix. It will be a little bit like the Springsteen Seeger Session meets Little Richard, the Band and T Bone Walker's band for "O Brother Where Art Thou" and the early Eagles. I'm not kidding... you gotta be there!

One of the treasures of my life - and one of my deepest encounters with God's grace - is making music with talented and loving friends. And this is as good as it gets...

2 comments:

Peter said...

Wonderful! Play on, dudes!

Mary said...

"One of the treasures of my life - and one of my deepest encounters with God's grace - is making music with talented and loving friends."

I have had the privilege or experiencing this! There is nothing else like it! Gotta share this post with my musical friends on FB :)

Mary

getting into the holy week groove...

We FINALLY got our seed and wildflower order in! By now we've usually had seedlings started but... my new gig at church, Di's health...