Thursday, July 15, 2010

For Hal who brings such unexpected blessings...

As I was driving back from Hartford, CT this afternoon, the NPR newscast shared this story about the fear and hatred that is still running high in NYC in the shadow of Ground Zero. The story involves an Islamic cultural center that fear-mongers are calling a mosque. To be sure, there will be a place for prayer, but there will be so much more, too. As co-founder, Daisy Kahn, observes:

"Our religion has been hijacked by the extremists... this center will create this kind of counter momentum which will amplify the voices of the moderate Muslims. If we have to defeat the extremists, Muslims have to be leading that effort."

Still, Tea-baggers and others are hellbent on not only lying about the nature of the center, but exploiting post September 11th fears and anger. This story grabbed me because we've begun a study of Christianity and Islam this week and our first session highlighted the fears and anger towards Muslims that still seem to dominate popular American culture. (check out the full NPR story at: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128544392&ft=1&f=1016as well as the follow-up story, too, concerning the challenges American Muslims face when trying to build new mosques.)

I know there a a lot of cynics out there - in the churches and synagogues and mosques, too - who say that so much of God's love and compassion is just crazy. They say we should work at being effective and strategic. They say we should use our money and time wisely.

Well, here's the deal for me: the way of Jesus IS crazy. It is NOT effective and probably doesn't make very much practical sense either. But thanks be to God for those who visit the lonely and listen to the wounded. Thanks be to God for those who stand up for the forgotten and NEVER call attention to themselves. Thank God for the quiet peace-makers who don't pay a whole lot of attention to what is practical and efficient. May they will keep on being crazy and compassionate regardless of what shakes out among the politicians.

So at this point in my life I have come to believe that only crazy love and compassion matters any more. And when you are open to finding the light within the darkness, it arrives. Like two days ago when my buddy, Hal, turned me on to this incredible song by John Kay. This song gets it so totally right that there isn't much more to say except I know it doesn't make sense. And God knows it isn't cost effective or even practical. But that's how this thing works out and either you get the upside down community or... it is forever crazy, yes?

So, here's to being crazy and compassionate and upside down... there is just so much that is right on theologically and musically in this little song you just have to hear it.

On the back page of the paper
Next to the ad for mobile homes
I read about my brother's keeper
And the kindness he had shown
To some helpless perfect stranger
Who cried out in his pain
And what the front page had taken from me
Was given back to me again



My thoughts turned to the teachers
And the champions of the weak
The protectors of the creatures
And the saints down on the street
All the helpers, all the healers
Who lay hands on wounded souls
And whose daily acts of mercy
Drive the cynic from my door


Countless times I've seen the wonders
That the gift of hope can bring
To the betrayed and the forgotten
Yet I stood watching in the wings
Too many times I heard the call
And did not answer, to my shame
But I swear from this day on
I will lend a helping hand.

2 comments:

Peter said...

He's come a long way from "Born to be Wild", hasn't he?

Terrific song, RJ.

RJ said...

It blows my mind, Black Pete, just blows my mind. Glad you resonate with this, too. I'm going to have to work on it now... ;-)

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...