Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Reclaiming some musical/spiritual influences...

For about as long as I can remember I have LOVED a certain sound when playing/listening to music. I am knocked out by Springsteen's blend of rock and soul, I adored the Grateful Dead's fusion of country/rock/jazz and acid, same with the Allman Brothers and I have been deeply touched by the Beatles' use of pop/early girl group harmonies with their little richard meets carl perkins guitar work.

But the sound I want to create comes from... Pentangle - the Band - Joni Mitchell/Tom Rush - Neil Young in his Harvest days - the Byrds - and Eric Anderson during his Blue River phase. Tom Rush made it sound something like this back in the 70s...

There is just a certain groove - very mellow with a touch of blues mixed with an acoustic bass played with acoustic guitars - that I love. And the acoustic guitars have to play with a combo of blues/rock along with Celtic sounds and jazz and a whole lotta country. It just knocks me out every time... dig Pentangle doing their version of "Sally Go Round the Roses."


There are a few contemporary folk doing this kind of music: certainly the Cowboy Junkies get it right a lot of the time, Rosanne Cash does a bang-up job and watching Elvis Costello's show gives me a healthy dose of it, too. I think brother Tom Waits makes it happen from time to time and certainly Carrie Newcomer makes me smile. Lucinda Williams has the magic for me and early CSN&Y grabbed the spirit, too. And let's not forget Hank Jr. or the Buffalo Springfield.

I remember seeing a young Kris Kristofferson back in 1971 with a kick-ass band in a sweaty gym in North Carolina - and OMG did he make it happen for me. A lot of time Johnny Cash made me shout and shake my booty and God knows Sheryl Crow did her homework.

So I guess more than most I am in-freakin' LOVE with hardass, outlaw country music! (No wonder my wife says I play everything in 6/8, hmmmmm!) Listen to that girl sing and that boy play his gitttar... damn!

3 comments:

Peter said...

6/8 is the time signature of Irish jigs, against which it is impossible to sit still--the rhythm jerks you to your feet.

So, me bucko, is a bit o' the Celt in you, I'm after wonderin'?

Anonymous said...

I think that is true, too, brother man.

Rev Nancy Fitz said...

enjoyed the baptism post. have fun in Boston

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...