Saturday, December 5, 2009

The ordinary blessing of being corrected...

Yesterday, while searching for a Dunkin' Donuts before cutting down our Christmas tree, I was talking with my wife about this Sunday's message. It is a reflection - especially for Protestants - on some of the insights of Mary. For some time I have been "pondering her wisdom and mysteries in my heart" and felt like lifting her up in worship would bring us balance - especially given the Reformed tradition's over emphasis on John the Baptist individuality - so all of my Advent reflections will be grounded in Mary.

At any rate, as I was sharing my three ideas with her - that John is harsh while Mary is patient, that John responds to God's call by fleeing into the desert to be alone while Mary embraces community, and that John's words to people are black and white demands for radical change while Mary asks Jesus to bring more wine to the feast - she said, "I can accept and appreciate that you are looking for a more Marian spirituality in your life but does it have to be either/or? Are you saying that there is no room for John and his radical challenge?" She then went on to talk about those in the congregation who ARE more like John - and how important they are, too.

Hmmmmm.... busted!
As soon as she started to reply I sensed deep in my gut that I had missed my own point. For in searching for balance I, too, was acting more like John than Mary by setting up the discussion in exclusive ways.

And that's what I mean about the ordinary blessing of being corrected: we can't see our own shadows. In fact, we need the wisdom and insights of others to help us name and deal with them. And only when they are named - and owned - can we consciously incorporate them into our lives.

It reminded me of the way an old urban pastor friend used to write his sermons: he would study the scriptures together on Monday with five diverse lay people in his congregation - mostly working class and/or unemployed folk - and then write a draft sermon for them to discuss together on Thursday evening. They would gathering in some one's home, have a little food and beer and then listen to the sermon and offer their critiques: where did it ring true? where was it bullshit? what was still unclear? why did it even matter?

There is an ordinary blessing in being corrected by another in love that helps make the grace of God flesh. A poem about Mary by Mary Karr hints at this like this:

As the boy's bones lengthened,
and his head and heart enlarged,
his mother one day failed

to see herself in him.
He was a man then, radiating
the innate loneliness of men.

His expression was ever after
beyond her. When near sleep
his features eased towards childhood,

it was brief.
She could only squeeze
his broad shoulder. What could

she teach him
of loss, who now inflicted it
by entering the kingdom

of his own will?

It is starting to snow now: I'm off soon to meet with my spiritual advisor/friend for our every two week discussion of how things are going? I am glad that I was busted. Later I need to practice a Luka Bloom song we're doing for worship - another take on Mary - that is so gentle it makes me weep.

6 comments:

Luke said...

my dear reverend... here i am sitting the hospital on a snowy night.. praying that it go quickly as i have so much work to get to back at the house.. i read your blog post, happy about that, it re-centers me a little... but then i hit play (as i always do on the music you present) and i am blown away.

i believe in that wonderful song i may have just become enlightened. or in our Christian tradition, reminded of the incarnate and indwelling God.

God bless ya bud. in your course correction you have managed to correct mine as well. and people say there's no such thing as God ;-)

RJ said...

luke... thanks be to God. I have been thinking and praying about/for you during your time as chaplain. And with a new baby, too. So much life and change. Thanks for sharing these words with me cuz they matter to me a whole lot. All my love and prayers.

Peter said...

"Both...and"--two very important words that frequently represent the hardest of things to do: live with opposites in tension, rather than plumping down on one side or the other and amputating opportunities for spiritual growth.

Speaking of which, I live with the peaceful prophecy of In the Bleak Midwinter alongside the in-your-face challenge of Merry Christmas/The War is Over.

RJ said...

Great words, Black Pete, two most excellent tunes to keep in tension and embrace. Thanks.

delaferriere said...

OUCH! I felt that one too.

Miss Whistle said...

I found you by searching for a Mary Karr poem. Your blog is utterly beautiful and I shall spend much more time here. Thank you for all of it. There is so much I want to read and listen to. I am most grateful.

Miss Whistle x

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...