Thursday, April 30, 2009

Chronos in service of kairos...

Yesterday I traveled to Western New York state again to be join Dianne after her mother's recent death. It has been hard for us both to be apart during this time so it was a joy to see and hold her again. Today the wider family - three sisters ALL of whom are clergy - will do some thinking and planning about the upcoming memorial service. These words came to me...

The rhythm of life for a kingdom dweller puts chronos in service of kairos, the cyclical in service of the directional, the calendar in service of the kingdom... As we submit our anarchy to a rhythm, in a sort of earthy, mystical way, all of life is lived lucidly, intentionally and to the glory of God. Every washing becomes a baptism; every eating a communion. Every sleeping becomes a dying and every rising a resurrection. (Kenneth Gottman)


I once read that William Stringfellow never used to say table grace when he had dinner guests because, "I've prayed over this food the entire time I was cooking it - showering it with love - in anticipation of the feast." I love this sacramental way of living and hope to claim it more deeply as yet another death awakens me to the short, sweetness of life.

No comments:

an oblique sense of gratitude...

This year's journey into and through Lent has simultaneously been simple and complex: simple in that I haven't given much time or ...