Friday, March 13, 2009

Trying to keep it real...

One of the challenges of being a radically inclusive congregation has to do with balance - or maybe I should say boundaries - so that those who need safety in the community are not overwhelmed - or beaten up - by those people who are so broken, self-absorbed or simply mean-spirited that they roll over everyone and never seem to notice. I've seen this happen all too often... especially when good, middle-class folk have to start embracing those who aren't so obviously "nice," pretty and well mannered.


Brian McLaren gets to some of this in this clip... but what many people don't talk about is what has to happen for the wounded and poor in spirit to find safety in a diverse congregation. I have discovered over the years that there needs to be enough pro-active leaders - clergy and laity - to both welcome everyone and monitor the safety of those who can't do it for themselves. I'm not talking about being paternalistic; no I mean living into your gifts and responsibility as a community leader and caring for the "least of these my sisters and brothers."

Let's face it, in addition to predators there are also sociopaths and just wacky and cruel folk who find churches great places to act out. I love the old story of St. Francis who would walk into a town singing only to find the beggars and lame who didn't want healing would flee and hide. That has helped me evaluate the health of my ministry: if after a year it is still filled with people using others, wounding them and taking advantage of the good hearts of the weak or uncertain, then some bold action is required by all in positions of leadership. And sometimes that means asking somebody to leave...

Back in the day the same thing happened to innocent hippies - who were aching for love and community - and so often found themselves being exploited by junkies and users or worse. Think Charles Manson. So, while I still sing Jefferson Airplane's song as a prayer and hymn... I do so with my eyes open.

No comments:

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...