Sunday, February 15, 2009

Too,too funny...

We launched our "Kids with Cameras" project this morning - and it was a madhouse! I don't think any of our children took pictures of anyone doing the happy dance. But we did create some energy and insight about trying to see life from another's perspective. And, man were those kids funny! They were running around everywhere trying to take artistic pictures of the adults; I can't wait to see the results after my wife and her partner-in-crime get them back from WalMart.

Afterwards, we had a small group conversation about how worship music can either build up the community or reinforce our isolation. It was unanimous that group singing is preferred to choirs or soloists. It was also clear that among those who were participating, the music needs to have integrity and beauty. It doesn't matter what style it is, it needs to take us deeper, encourage our hearts and feed our souls. Otherwise, it feels like a waste of time... and life is already too busy.

In my prayers last night I was reading Patrick Henry Reardon's notes on Psalm 131
.
He observed that this sweet, little Psalm sounds a lot like St. Paul's repeated admonition to the Church in Roman about being too puffed-up, haughty or snooty: "I say to everyone among you not to think of yourself more highly than you ought to think, but with sober judgment, each according the measure of faith that God has assigned." Apparently this was a problem in Rome - and is often so in local churches, too - were some believe that their money, power or ego entitles them to more influence.

In Marilynne Robinson's essay on "Puritans and Prigs" in her collection, The Death of Adam: Essays on Modern Thought, she notes that when John Calvin reflected on what would inspire greater compassion, generosity and hope in the world it was NOT more personal introspection or private prayer. Rather, it was loving another as God loves us... anything less merely reinforces our selfish sinfulness.

It will be fascinating to see how the perspective of others through the lenses of these little ones will help us "think not more highly of ourselves." Maybe they might even push us towards a little more love... we shall see.

O Lord my heart is not proud
(just look at this picture of me in worship this morning that my wife took!)
My eyes are not raised too high.
I do not occupy myself with matters too great for me
Or with marvels that are beyond me.
But I have stilled and made quiet my soul
Like a weaned child nestling to its mother
So like a child my soul is quieted with me
(and rests in you)
O trust in the Lord
From this time forth and forever more.

One of my favorites... still.

3 comments:

Cosmo said...

I love the curiosity and creativity that comes when you give a child a camera. They don't care about personal space or whether a particular subject is worthy of commiting it to film/memory card. They just go ahead and shoot.

Will you post some of the results?

RJ said...

Yep, I can't wait to see some of their shots. Great to hear from you, man.

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! Check out this new Christian band that just released their first album. From what I heard on the samples site, they sound really good.

Introducing the new Christian National Anthem: Guns & Jesus.

easter reflection at palmer 2024...

Recently, Fr. Richard Rohr wrote that Easter: "is the feast that says God will have the last word and that God’s final judgment is resu...