Monday, January 12, 2009

I feel like home made...

Back in the middle 60s - in what seems 1000 light years from home - there was a group of recovering Beats who formed a group called The Fugs. Ed Sanders and Tuli Kupferberg were the founding members with periodic support from the Holy Modal Rounders and others. They had a song, "I Feel Like Homemade S***" that is the best description of how I feel today with a flu bug that WILL NOT QUIT! They were a fascinatingly unmusical, highly poetic pre-punk conceptual gathering of anti-war, anti-establishment types who were mostly funny in a totally irreverent way that doesn't seem to happen much anymore. (For those who are HIGHLY motivated, check out: http://www.thefugs.com/)


Now I wasn't planning a trip down memory lane - I was actually going to share a little about the spiritual blessings of coming down with the flu and rest and prayer and all that - but recalling the Fugs takes me to my very first concert EVER: Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. My dearest friend at the time, Ross, who taught me to play guitar before and after our confirmation class in 9th grade, LOVED the Mothers of Invention.

In fact, another friend, Hal, who later became the lead guitarist in our band (Creepin' Jesus) turned me on to the Mothers in 8th grade (the doors and tolkien, too. Interestingly, I just reconnected with Hal on facebook!) But it took Ross to help me go crazy over Zappa and during the summer of love ~1967 ~ we went to see them over and over again.


Now for those who don't know, the Mothers were outrageous, irreverent brilliant jazz/rock musicians who were advocates for total freedom beyond the confines of left or right. I think I loved them because they were so freakin' smart AND funny. I have always appreciated good humor - in fact I have come to think of it as a spiritual discipline - if you can't laugh at yourself, well you are in real trouble. Small wonder that one of the first rock songs I ever played in church was Zappa's "Trouble Comin' Every Day" about the Watts riots in 1965.
I loved the Airplane, I was on on fire for Hendrix and Cream, I learned to finger pick like Mississippi John Hurt but it was Zappa and the Mothers that ALWAYS fed my soul.

Now I have NO idea how any of that relates to being down with a flu bug and resting... but that's what I am going to have to do for the next two days: lay low and get healthy. Our band is going to join in the MLK day of service on the 19th so I need to be in shape. After worship on Sunday I came home and was totally knocked down by a flu bug and it hasn't let up one bit. So, I am going to practice a little self care and rest a lot and drink plenty of tea. And as I do, I am going to give thanks for unexpected down time - even head colds - for they keep me balanced and grounded. Time to go to sleep with a little... Hendrix!

No comments:

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...