Saturday, December 27, 2008

What it feels like...

Whenever the kids come to visit - and then leave... whenever Dianne and I have to be apart for an extended period of time... it feels like this old, old song by Joni Mitchell. Joy Davidson, wife to C.S. Lewis, once told him that the sadness we feel in leaving is connected to the joy we feel when we're together: you can't have the depth of love without the sorrow of emptiness. I rejoice in our Christmas feasting this year and... always ache when it is over.

2 comments:

Luke said...

agreed! hope your Christmas was so good you're sore all over ;-)

borrowed heavily from you for this next sermon... hope you don't mind ;-)

rawk!

RJ said...

It was sweet and real, Luke. Thanks. Glad my sermon notes could be shared.

trusting that the season of new life is calming creeping into its fullness...

Earlier this week, when the temperature was a balmy 65F and the skies sunny and blue, I began my annual outdoor spring cleaning: piles and ...