Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Lord, have mercy...

So my conservative sisters and brothers are finally going to break from the official Episcopal Church in the United States calling it a "Reformation moment." I guess that is always their right and privilege, but let's not confuse it with the Reformation which was about deeper integrity, the priesthood of all believers and the sanctity of conscience.

These schismatics want to go BACK in time, not forward. They hate ordaining women, they are terrified that sexuality can be simultaneously liberating and responsible, they are dumb-founded about the the authentic spectrum of human sexuality and refuse to work cooperatively with other Anglicans who simply disagree with their retrograde theology and politics. (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/04/us/04episcopal.html)

Sure, Gene Robinson was the lightning rod for the forces of yesterday - but Gene's marriage to another man and his life outside of the closet is not the real reason for this break within the Anglican communion. No, this is all about fear and prejudice, plain and simple. Shame on those who use the name of the Lord like this. Isn't Christ's perfect love able to cast out all fear?

Earlier this summer, a young man felt called to be baptized. We spent some time in prayer and conversation and then he asked me, "Can we do this right now?" So we did - went right into the Sanctuary, prayed and baptized him - and it was true and of Christ's spirit. Afterwards he said something like, "You know I want to follow Christ as Lord, but I am really uncomfortable with some of my new family members in Christianity. They are kind of frightening." Damn right, brother, I'm kinda uncomfortable, too. Frightening and angry, fear-based and mean-spirited, too, if not down right hateful. And so it goes... my prayers are with you all, liberal and conservative, gay and straight and everyone in-between, but this stupidity is so hurtful.

This will all get worse before it gets better. I also pray that in the meantime those of us on the fringes can offer shelter from the storm for those who are tired of this ugly in-fighting. I certainly want to help my congregation live into the calling that Joan Osborne sings about in her new "Cathedrals" as we search for that spiritual home where everyone has a place at the table.

3 comments:

Katherine E. said...

I've blogged about this, too. Makes me sad and angry, too.

Yep, it's fear and prejudice. And not just Gene Robinson but Katharine Jefferts-Schori, of all things--a WOMAN as Presiding Bishop. That's just too much for them, it seems. Fear can be soooo blinding...(I know this from my own experience, so I can't be too hard on them, actally.)

RJ said...

Thanks for your insights. I don't want to be too harsh either but it hurts so deeply to have all this fear mascarade as sound theology. I, too, have been in the place of fear and have to own it as a part of my shadow. Thanks for you kind and loving presence in the midst of the storm. Be well.

Luke said...

i love Jesus, but some of his followers freak me out! and no matter if you're right or left, if you can't see the other side, that's straight dangerous right there!

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...