Sunday, August 31, 2008

Cinematic Orchestra...

What a treat Montreal shared with us last night: a stellar performance by the Nu Jazz/ electronica band Cinematic Orchestra. We first heard them in London last summer and got totally excited by their mixture of jazz improvisation, techno/urban grooves and liberation lyrics from a decidedly urban realm. Jason Swinscoe has created a top notch group of artists who are committed to both blending improvisation with the new art of "sampling," and taking the experience of a concert to new heights of emotional, intellectual and spiritual community building.

To my clearly limited ear they sound like a fresh combination of Philip Glass, Gil Scott-Heron, Nina Simone, Malcolm X, Roger Waters, John Coltrane and Jay Z with a UK sensibility and a ray of light amidst the darkness. Listen to this prayer/riff/jam/lament/ode to the Spirit and tell me you don't think God is alive and well and at work in our world...

2 comments:

Cosmo said...

What a great sound. I've got to get some of this. Lots of spiritual significance in this song. What God-lover wouldn't want to have his ruach breathing across them, taking them deeper into the things of God?

"Breathe in to me, and breath out through me."

I hope Nick picks this one up and explores this band on his blog.

RJ said...

Oh I am SOO glad you like these cats. They are really powerful. And I hope Nick picks up on them, too. I am going to do some theological work with the Cinematics in the next few weeks, too. Be well.

reflections on the third sunday of eastertide...

What a fascinating, illuminating, humbling, and awesome week it was for those who took the time to experience the eclipse. For most of our ...